Whether you're making a cozy slow-cooker game day dinner in the winter or planning a summer BBQ, these BBQ wings will be a hit. This recipe uses the unique flavors of Cherry Republic Orginal Barbecue Sauce and Cherry Root Bear (pick some up at one of our six Michigan stores) to add a tasty flavor to your ordinary chicken wings. While the final steps to these wings call for them being cooked under the broiler, they could just as easily be placed on the grill for a great smokey flavor. We used the Cherry Republic’s Original Cherry BBQ Sauce, but if you want more heat, use our Spicy Cherry Barbecue Sauce.
- Chicken Wings – 4 pounds (depending on the size of your slow cooker)
- Salt – 1 tablespoons
- Pepper – 1 tablespoons
- Cherry Republic Original Barbecue Sauce – 2 Jars, 17-oz each
- Cherry Republic Cherry Root Bear – 16 ounces
- Brown Sugar
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick spray, this will make clean up easier and prevent the wings cooking to the sides.
- Place chicken wings into your slow cooker, add salt, pepper and mix lightly.
- Pour 16 ounces of Cherry Root Bear into the slow cooker and then pour 1.5 cups of Cherry Republic Original BBQ Sauce on top, it should cover or almost cover the wings.
- Cover wings and cook on low for 4 hours in the slow cooker. Stir gently after 2 hours and re-cover. This will prevent the wings on the bottom from getting too over cooked and falling off the bone making it difficult to transfer to the broiling pan.
- Pour remaining Cherry Republic Original Barbecue Sauce into a bowl.
- After 4 hours gently transfer the wings to an aluminum foiled broiling pan, dunking each wing into the BBQ sauce first then transferring onto the broiling pan. If you decide to grill the wings instead of broiling, brush on the BBQ sauce to reduce the grill clean up.
- Once all the wings are positioned on the broiling pan, sprinkle a light coat of brown sugar on the wings. This will create a caramelizing effect when the wings are being broiled adding to the flavor.
- Turn oven on broil and place pan in the center of the oven and broil for 10-15 minutes or until the brown sugar starts to caramelize. At this stage the wings are already cooked you are just cooking the sauce onto the wings.
Remove wings from oven, plate, serve, and enjoy!